Mental Health Resources -On Campus


Carleton Health and Counselling Services

Full-time and part-time graduate students can access both medical and counselling services through Carleton University. The costs for these services are included in your tuition.

i) Medical services

The team of medical professionals at Carleton University include family physicians and registered nurses. These individuals provide outpatient medical services to all graduate students. Appointments for can be made for general health concerns. Walk-in-Clinic services are offered to individuals who need more immediate care.

ii) Counselling Services

Confidential and private counselling services are offered to current graduate students. Different services are available to students living off-campus, on-campus, and for international or exchange students.

iii) Crisis Support

Health and Counselling Services also provides online information for crisis situations and support. Please see links below.

Equity Services

Equity Services “…supports Carleton University’s commitment to diversity as a source of human excellence, cultural enrichment and social strength.” Equity Services works to create a safe(r) work and academic environment that is free of discrimination, injustice, and violence. Equity Services promotes understanding, respect, peace, trust, openness and fairness.

Equity services addresses some of the following important social justice issues: academic and employment accommodations, discrimination and harassment, gender neutral bathrooms, Aboriginal education, and many others. The work of Equity Services is attached to the Carleton University Human Rights Policies and Procedures that were implemented in 2001 and updated in 2010.

Sexual Assault Support Services

Sexual Assault Support Services are free, confidential, and available to all students, faculty, and staff at Carleton University. The Sexual Assault Support Services are located in 503 Robertson Hall. Some of the services offered include: short term counselling; safety planning; public education and training; information on sexual violence; peer support volunteers (mid-Sept to April); and many others.

Womyn’s Centre

The Womyn’s Centre is a safe(r) and inclusive space located on the third floor (Rm 308) of the University Centre. They offer free pregnancy tests, menstrual products, and condoms, as well as provide peer support. It is the only space on campus that has a room dedicated solely to woman-identified folks. This woman only space can be used for prayer, breastfeeding, napping, homework, and peer support. The Centre also houses the largest feminist library on campus.

Gender and Sexuality Resource Centre (GSRC)

The GSRC aims to provide a safe(r) space for students of all gender identities, gender expressions, and sexual orientations. They offer peer support and mentorship programs, free safer sex supplies, and referrals to community resources. They also provide information on topics such as healthy sexuality and sexual violence prevention. The GSRC houses the second largest queer library in Ottawa.

International Student Centre

The International Student Centre celebrates Carleton’s international community. The Centre provides resources for international students, as well as host social events, workshops, and an annual gala.

Foot Patrol

Foot patrol provides patrols and safe walks for students on campus and in the Ottawa community. Foot patrollers walk with students anywhere on campus and up to 30 minutes off campus. Safe walk services are available from 6pm to 12am on weekdays and 6pm to 2am on Thursdays.

Paul Menton Centre (PMC)

PMC provides academic accommodations and support services for students with disabilities. PMC “…is committed to facilitating the integration of students with disabilities into all aspects of Carleton’s university life.”

Race, Ethnicity, and Cultural Hall (REC Hall)

REC Hall “…aims to be a safe(r) space for Carleton students of all racial, ethnic and cultural identities through peer-to-peer dialogue, programming, and support.” REC Hall hosts a number of events and workshops throughout the school year that are open to all Carleton students.


OPRIG is a student-run public interest groups that focuses on important social justice issues, works to address community issues, and pushes for social change. It is the centre for student organizing and activism on campus. This space stresses the need for critical social dialogue and engagement on campus.

Carleton Disability Awareness Centre (CDAC)

CDAC provides information and awareness about disability by working to challenge misconceptions through events and programming. CDAC accommodates the needs of diverse individuals with visible and non-visible disabilities.

Ojigkwanong Center

Ojigkwanong, Carleton’s Aboriginal Centre, is located in Paterson Hall (Rm 228). Ojigkwanong provides a space to learn about and practice First Nations, Inuit, and Metis cultures, traditions, and worldviews. During the school year, the Centre hosts social gatherings, cultural events, and visiting elders. The Centre has a kitchette, lounge, study spaces, computer lab, printer, phone booth, Elder’s room, and smudge room.

Financial Wellness

CUPE 4600

i) TA Advance

In the months of September, January, and May, graduate students receive a single lump sum pay at the end of month. This may cause financial struggles and uncertainty for some graduate students as there is no pay cheque coming in mid-month. In an attempt to assist graduate students who may be experiencing financial struggles during these three months, CUPE 4600 offers a TA advance to all graduate TAs with a regular position (130 hours per term). TAs are to fill out the “TA Advance” form found on the CUPE 4600 website and drop it off at the CUPE 4600 office (511A UniCentre). TAs can receive up to $750.00 in advance. The amount given to students via the TA advance is subtracted off the TAs first 3 pay cheques.

ii) Emergency Loan

CUPE 4600 offers an emergency loan to Unit 1 and Unit 2 members who experience unexpected financial need. TAs, RAs, and CIs are to fill out the “Emergency Loan” form found on the CUPE 4600 website and drop it off at the CUPE 4600 office (511A UniCentre). Successful applicants may be awarded an emergency loan of up to $700. Unit 1 and Unit 2 members create payment plans with CUPE 4600 in order to pay off the emergency loan.

Graduate Student Association (GSA)

i) Emergency Grant

The GSA offers an Emergency Grant of up to $250 for graduate students who find themselves in dire financial need due to unexpected circumstances such as fire, theft, personal or family emergencies. The application form for the emergence grant is located on the GSA website.

ii) Family Leave Grant

The Family Leave Grant provides financial support for full-time and part-time Masters and PhD students who require academic leave of absence for parental leave or other family related issues. To be eligible to apply, individuals must: 1) demonstrate financial need; 2) not be receiving other forms of leave pay; and 3) show proof of registration for two terms prior to the start of leave. The family leave grant provides graduate students with a one-time payment of $1500.

iii) Travel Grant

The GSA provides Travel Grants to graduate students to help cover some of the costs of participating in academic conferences or conducting research outside the Ottawa area. The GSA gives graduate students 50% of the travel costs that are not covered by other sources (i.e. FGPA or department) to a maximum of $200.00. The minimum cost to the student must be higher than $50.00. Graduate student may apply for more than one grant per year (May 1st to April 30th) to a maximum of $200.00.

Food Centre

The food centre promotes food security for all students, faculty, and staff at Carleton University.

i) The Good Food Box

The Good Food Box provides students and other Carleton community members with produce from local farmers at a significantly reduced cost in comparison to retail prices. Students can select food boxes that range in price from $5.00 to $20.00.

ii) Emergency Food Assistance Program

The Emergency Food Assistance Program offers students food hampers when they are in need. To order a hamper, you must fill out the hamper request form located on the Food Centre website. If you are requesting a hamper for the first time, you need to fill out the Food Bank Intake Form. You must request your hamper 24 hour prior to pick-up. You are limited to one food hamper request every three weeks.

FGPA Graduate Student Travel / Research Bursary

FGPA provides funds to graduate students who need financial assistance to conduct their research or disseminate their research. Approval of the bursary are considered on a case-by-case and first-come-first serve basis. In most cases, students can only submit one application per year (September to August); however, in rare cases and if funds are available, students may apply for a second bursary/ The maximum amount is $600.00 for student travelling within Canada and $1200 for student travelling to international conference.

Graduate Research and Innovative Thinking Awards (GRIT)

Each year, FGPA awards five PhD students from different disciplines a GRIT award. The award is valued at $5000.00. In order to apply for the award, you must be at the ABD stage of your degree. The award supports graduate students conducting highly original and innovative research. GRIT awards support travel for data collection or travel for a top ranked national or international conference in the student’s field of study. You may only hold the GRIT award once during your studies.

Physical Wellness Resources

Carleton Athletic Centre

i) All full-time and part-time graduate students have access to the Carleton fitness centre, pool, jogging track, and squash courts located in the Athletic Centre on University Road. Fees for these athletic services are included in your tuition costs.

ii) The Athletic Centre offers fitness classes, personal training sessions, and private swimming lessons; however, students must pay additional fees to access these services and classes. At the beginning of each semester, students are invited to try out all fitness classes at no charge for a week long period before making decisions about which classes they might want to join. All Carleton students receive a 25% discount on all fitness classes offered.

iii) If fitness classes or personal training sessions do not appeal to you, graduate students also have the option to join an adult rec league or an intermural league. Each of these leagues have many different sports for you to choose from. If you do not feel like committing to a league or joining a team, you can participate in open recreation sports. The open recreation options allow you to drop in during designated times to play your favourite sport with no commitment.

Graduate Student Association (GSA)

i) Grad Recreational Softball League (GRSL)

GRSL “…is a slow pitch league, open to interested players of any calibre, with a minimum of seriousness and a maximum of fun. The league is strictly recreational and non-competitive. Those of all skill levels are welcome to play. Weeknights from early May to the end of August, a variety of teams come out to the baseball diamond behind the Nesbitt Biology Building.”

ii) Kitigànensag (Algonquin for “little gardens”)

Kitigànensag is a student-run garden that encourages “…local, organic food production, education, and community building.” Garden plots are free and include two wheelchair accessible plots. Applications for plots are available to the entire Carleton community but preference tends to be given to graduate students. The planting season starts in May and ends in October.