The GSA offers medical, dental and accident insurance plans designed to be comprehensive and low in cost. Read our GSAC 2023 Brochure for more details.
- Prescription drug claims at 80% to a max of $2000 plus dispensing fee charge in excess of $5 per prescription
- 80% on most dental work to a max of $750 (100% if visiting a Student Dental Discount Network dentist) plus an additional $500 max for wisdom teeth at 50% (70% if visiting a Student Dental Discount Network dentist).
- Vision claims up to $150 over 24 months
- Accident insurance
- Paramedical coverage at $20/visit, $300 combined max for Chiropractic, Massage, Naturopath, Physiotherapy, and Speech Therapy
- Mental health practitioners coverage at $50/visit, $500 per benefit year including Psychologist, Social Worker/Counsellor, Master of Social Work, or Psychotherapist
- Inkblot Therapy program featuring 5 hours of included counselling, 5 hours of couple counselling, and a student assistance program
- Travel Insurance (emergency medical coverage) for up to 60 days per trip for up $5,000,000
The Benefits booklet is available after registering with GSC Everywhere, please visit the following website for details:
Making a claim is simple.
Many providers, including dentists, pharmacists, and practitioners have computers that are linked to GSC’s system and offer direct billing. By using direct billing, a provider will submit the claim to GSC on your behalf. The provider may choose to be paid by GSC directly, requiring you to pay any remaining balance. Or, the provider may require you to pay for the claim in full and GSC will reimburse you directly. If GSC will be paying you directly, remember to sign up for GSC Everywhere and enter your direct deposit details. Claims are often reimbursed within 72 hours of the date the claim is submitted, directly to your bank account. Instruct the them that you have Green Shield Canada student coverage, and that your GSC member ID number is CAR (for Carleton) plus your student number and add -00. Example CAR100123456-00. GSC member ID numbers for dependents add -01 -02 to the primary member’s student number and so on for each dependent added to the plan. Your spouse is always -01, and your first dependent will start at -02 and so on. Example CAR100123456-01 for your spouse, CAR100123456-02 for oldest child, CAR 100123456-03 for second oldest.
You may also make a claim online or on your smartphone using GSC Everywhere. GSC Everywhere is your portal to submitting claims online, checking your available benefits balances, signing up for direct deposit, and much more. By using your smartphone, you can submit a claim to GSC before even leaving the practitioner, receiving your reimbursement directly to your bank account often within 72 hours.
In other cases a manual claim will be needed. In the event you require a paper claim form, visit the GSC Support Centre to find the most updated version of the general claim and dental claim forms. A paper claim form must be mailed to GSC with the appropriate documentation. This type of claim may take longer to process.