The GSA posts internal (GSA & Mike’s Place) job opportunities here.
The GSA values employment and educational equality and welcomes applications from diverse groups including (but not limited to) women; aboriginal people; people of colour; people with disabilities; international students; and 2SLGBTQAI+ people.
Current Job Openings
Only those who are granted interviews will be contacted.
GSA Carleton Inc.
Job Description: Executive Director
The Executive Director undertakes to fulfill, but not be limited to, the following duties:
- The Executive Director is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the GSA and shall provide expert advice on the implementation of programs instituted by the Executive and Board of Directors of GSA Carleton Inc. in accordance with the Constitution and By-Laws of the Graduate Students’ Association.
- The Executive Director shall put the interest of the organization first and shall administer to the decisions taken by the Board of Directors of GSA Carleton Inc. and Council members as long as such decisions do not contravene the GSA constitution, any by-laws of the city of Ottawa, or any statute of the province of Ontario or the Dominion of Canada.
- In cooperation with the GSA Executive, the Executive Director will be in charge of keeping an up-to-date and comprehensive filing system for all GSA documents.
- The Executive Director is responsible for updating the annual government registers of Directors and Officers list: Ontario Corporations and AGCO.
- The Executive Director shall assist in the supervision and coordination of all staff, which will include hiring, firing, and disciplining in collaboration with the Executive and Board of Directors.
- The Executive Director shall sit on hiring committees and shall advise the Executive on staffing issues.
- The Executive Director shall be the immediate supervisor of all staff members including the Bar Manager and shall be responsible in ensuring the fulfillment of all of their duties.
- The Executive Director shall provide all information necessary for collective bargaining purposes to the Management Bargaining Committee.
- The Executive Director shall sit on the Management Bargaining Committee and may, at the request of the Board of Directors, be appointed as the lead negotiator.
- The Executive Director, in conjunction with the Vice-President Finance and the Financial Manager, is responsible for managing the day-to-day finances of the GSA and Mike’s Place, including accounting, yearly budgeting, business operations, the annual audit and financial planning/overview.
- The Executive Director shall manage system description and audit control documents for the Audit.
- The Executive Director shall also manage the equity funds.
- Human Resources Planning & Management:
- The Executive Director shall manage all GSA HR administration matters, including diligent labor relations, HR systems and applicable legislative requirements.
- The Executive Director shall develop and execute HR related policies and procedures that foster a positive work environment.
- The Executive Director shall facilitate the administrative management of organizational HR practices, procedures, and systems.
- The Executive Director shall maintain and manage employee health and wellness benefits programs.
- The Executive Director shall prepare and maintain employee’ letters of employment and contracts for contracted workers.
- The Executive Director shall obtain the yearly renewal of corporate insurance.
- Food Hamper
- The Executive Director shall directly manage the Food Hamper Coordinator’s duties and will ensure the project is in good standing, compliant and fully licenced.
- Secretarial Duties
- The Executive Director shall supervise secretarial staff duties required to support organizational management.
- Policy and Research
- The Executive Director shall provide policy advice and research to the Executive at its request, and shall provide background material to the GSA council at its request, and such other assistance as may be necessary in fulfilling the mandate of GSA Carleton Inc.
- The Executive Director shall be part of GSA’s stand alone and ad hoc Committees.
- Board of Directors
- The Executive Director shall report to the Board of Directors and ensure accurate Board minutes are taken for Audit and Corporate Governance.
- The Executive Director shall assist the President in fulfillment of his/her duties as required. The Executive Director shall assist the President in maintaining contact with the corporation’s lawyers, insurance brokers, and the corporation’s auditors.
- The Executive Director shall assist the President with the renewal of the annual student fees with Carleton University.
- Vice-President Finance
- The Executive Director shall assist the VP Finance in monitoring the Association’s capital accounts, operating accounts and funds. The Executive Director shall assist the VP Finance in ensuring the completion of all necessary paperwork related to the finances of GSA Carleton Inc. These shall include but not be limited to bookkeeping, payroll, budgets and business operations (e.g. Mike’s Place). The Executive Director shall also assist the VP Finance in maintaining contact with the corporation’s auditors and insurance brokers.
- Vice President Operation
- The Executive Director shall assist the VP Operations in the maintenance of the Board of Directors and Council Members list of GSA Carleton Inc., and in the establishment and implementation of appropriate records management programs. Furthermore, the Executive Director shall assist the VP Operations in the organization of the council meetings when needed.
- The Executive Director shall assist the VP Operations in researching and monitoring University procedures and avenues of recourse.
- Vice-President External
- The Executive Director shall assist the VP External in maintaining contact with external organizations. This includes, but is not limited to, assisting with travel arrangements and conference registration.
- The Executive Director shall assist the VP External in contacting the media, including, but not limited to, maintaining, and updating a list of media contacts and writing press releases.
- The Executive Director shall also assist the VP External in researching and monitoring issues affecting accessibility to post-secondary education and issues affecting graduate funding.
- Unless mutually agreed upon, the Executive Director shall participate in, at a minimum, one Provincial and one National General Meeting of the Canadian Federation of Students per year.
- Vice-President Academic
- The Executive Director shall assist the VP Academic, by means of consultancy, regarding the ways to support graduate students experiencing difficulties about their academic journey.
- The Executive Director shall advise the VP Academic about matters that may arise in the Graduate Academic Caucus, such as advocacy regarding scholarships, grants and bursaries.
- The Executive Director shall support the VP Academic regarding the issues that may rise in the Senate, and Graduate Faculty Board meetings.
- The Executive Director can serve as a proxy to VP Academic for Graduate Faculty Board meetings including Graduate Faculty Board Executive meetings.
- University Committees
- The Executive Director shall accompany GSA representatives to any university committees, as requested by the Executive.
- Right to Participate
- The executive director shall normally have the right to fully participate in all meetings of the executive.
Salary: $77, 561.82
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 20th at 4pm EST